This annual report is a comprehensive look at the latest ingredients, cooking techniques and culinary ideas driving what’s next in flavour at restaurants, on retail shelves and in home kitchens.
This year’s Flavour Forecast highlights the casual, adventurous and interactive nature of how people are eating across the globe today. Dive into street food flavour fusion with a gyro-taco hybrid – plantain arepas filled with grilled steak and tzatziki hot sauce. Discover a Japanese izakaya favourite, onigiri stuffed rice balls, sprinkled with furikake seasoning. And, take a bite of East Africa with spicy Tanzanian BBQ skewers and tomato onion sauce.
Since 2000, McCormick has deployed its international team of experts, chefs, trend trackers and food technologists to explore and identify tomorrow’s favourite flavours featured in its annual Flavour Forecast. The team predicted smoky, spicy chipotle in 2000, rich and versatile maple in 2007, refreshingly sweet coconut water and milk in 2008, golden turmeric in 2010 and tangy, savoury Korean BBQ in 2012.
“In McCormick’s 2018 annual Flavour Forecast report, we continue to bring new tastes from around the world to your table,” said McCormick Canada Executive Chef Juriaan Snellen. “This year’s report celebrates meals meant to be shared, along with the exciting experience of discovering a new flavour,” observes Chef Snellen. “In addition to tracking influences emerging from Japan, East Africa, and the West Indies, we also take stock of the rise of mindful eating through elixirs.”
Discover the Flavours of 2018
1. Handheld Flavour Fusion – Take to the streets for the latest fusing of global cuisines. Carts, trucks and food halls are merging high-flavour fillings with unique crepes, buns and breads for loaded street fare you eat with your hands.
2. A Bite of East Africa – East African cuisine is a treasure trove of flavour. The signature seasonings, BBQ marinades and sauces of Tanzania and Ethiopia are being explored across the globe.
3. Japanese Izakaya Eats – Sushi isn’t the only bite-sized food Japan has to offer. Izakayas–Japanese gastropubs–serve up casual tasting plates, similar to Spanish tapas. Featuring bold glazes, seaweed seasonings and tangy dipping sauces, these dishes are an explosion of flavour.
4. Drink to Your Wellness – Wellness never tasted so good. Breakfast boosts, snacking soups and end-of-day sips feature robust flavours and uplifting ingredients like cucumber, dandelion greens, ginger, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Awaken, stay energized, rebalance and, above all, enjoy.
5. Globetrot with Hot Pot – Throw an Asian hot pot party and leave the cooking to your guests. Gather friends around a steamy pot of deeply flavoured broth. Offer meat, seafood and veggies for dunking, then finish with various toppings for a new DIY meal. This East Asian favourite can be easily changed up to go Mexican, Caribbean and more.
To learn more about the flavours of 2018, including recipes and tips for tasting them now, visit http://clubhouseforchefs.ca/flavour-forecast-2018
About Flavour Forecast
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavour Forecast™ has identified top trends and ingredients to discover the tastes of tomorrow. For 128 years, McCormick & Company has been guided by a passion for flavour. This passion drives our constant pursuit of what’s next in flavour. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavour Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. These ingredients and recipes inspire home cooks and professional chefs around the world to experience and share the joy of flavour. Visit http://clubhouseforchefs.ca/flavour-forecast-2018 to learn more.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC) is a global leader in flavour. With $4.4 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavoured by McCormick. McCormick Brings the Joy of Flavour to Life™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.
For information contact: